THAILAND, Indonesia and the Philippines dominate the top 10 island destinations in Asia, although they fail to make a dent in international rankings.
TripAdvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Islands judged destinations based on the quality and quantity of the most highly-rated hotels, restaurants and attractions listed for each island on TripAdvisor over a 12-month period.
The survey recognised more than 100 islands across the globe, with dedicated lists for Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe, South America, the South Pacific and the US.
In Asia, Thailand had the strongest showing. Koh Tao, Koh Lanta, Phuket and Koh Samui weighed in at first, third, sixth and seventh spots respectively. Indonesia followed with Nusa Lembongan at second place and Gili Trawangan at fourth, while the Philippines saw Boracay at fifth place and Palawan at eighth.
Rounding up the list for Asia were Langkawi, Malaysia (ninth) and Havelock Island, India (10th).
On the international list, Koh Tao was the sole Asian representative, coming in eighth. The top three spots were occupied by Ambergris Caye, Belize; St John, US Virgin Islands; and Bora Bora, French Polynesia.
Top 10 islands in Asia:
1. Koh Tao, Surat Thani, Thailand
2. Nusa Lembongan, Bali, Indonesia
3. Koh Lanta, Krabi, Thailand
4. Gili Trawangan, Gili Islands, Indonesia
5. Boracay, Visayas, Philippines
6. Phuket, Thailand
7. Koh Samui, Surat Thani, Thailand
8. Palawan, Mimaropa, Philippines
9. Langkawi, Malaysia
10. Havelock Island, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, India
Top 10 islands in the World:
1. Ambergris Caye, Belize
2. St. John, U.S Virgin Islands
3. Bora Bora, French Polynesia
4. San Juan Island, Washington
5. Santorini, Greece
6. Isla Mujeres, Mexico
7. Moorea, French Polynesia
8. Koh Tao, Thailand
9. Easter Island, Chile
10. Nosy Be, Madagascar